Want to learn more about UK/EU Immigration Law? Click Act Now to learn more... Act Now

Call Us +44 7950 458 464 | [email protected]
 Categories : News


The UK Border Agency has announced new English language tests for non-European migrants applying to come to the UK to join or marry a settled or British partner.

Last month the government announced plans to introduce compulsory English language tests for all non-European migrants applying to come to the UK to join or marry their settled partner.

The UK Border Agency has confirmed that these plans will be implemented from 29 November 2010.

From this date, the UK Border Agency said:

‘any migrant who wants to enter or remain in the UK as the partner of a British citizen or a person settled here will need to show that they can speak and understand English, by taking an English language test with one of our approved test providers’.

The new rules will apply to anyone applying as the husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried partner, same-sex partner, fiance (e) or proposed civil partner of a British citizen or a person settled in this country. They will be compulsory for people applying from within the UK as well as visa applicants from overseas.

Further information about these changes can be found in a written ministerial statement, which you can download on the UK Border Agency website.

Source: UK Border Agency.

Last week the government announce new language tests for non-EU students coming to the UK after 12 August 2010.

See also:

Secure English language requirement for Tier 4 students compulsory after 12 August

If you need any immigration advice or help with Sponsorship or Work Permits, Visa or an appeal against a refusal please email: 

info@immigrationmatters.co.uk or visit www.immigrationmatters.co.uk

Spread the Word, like or share this page, your friends will also love it and thanks for it.

Do you employ foreign workers? Don't risk a £20,000 fine and a possible custodial sentence. We can advice on Entrepreneur Visas, Investor Visas and Home Office sponsor licence compliance for your business. Use the button below to schedule an appointment...


Immigration Adviser, Speaker and Author See also: www.LinkedIn.com Profile - http://www.linkedin.com/profile/edit?trk=hb_tab_pro_top www.Ecademy.com Profile: http://www.ecademy.com/account.php?id=110038 http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/14119859749/

4 Responses to “UKBA announce English language testing for non-EU partners”
Read them below or add one

  1. gkamboua@yahoo.co.uk'

    I met my husband in the UK way back in 2004 and I returned to Namibia in 2005. I was refused a VISA twice to visit my then partner. He came to see me twice and we got married in 2009. I recently applied for a settlemennt VISA that was turned down reason being I needed to sit an English language test. We feel let down by the home office and my husband as a native english man thinks his human right as a citizen had been violated! I lived in the UK for four years and completed a BTEC Diploma and I fail to understand why I should be put through this nightmare when all we need is to start a life as a couple together! These is morally wrong and disgraceful! My husband is being punished by his fellow country man for falling for an african woman!!!!

  2. euukimmigration@gmail.com'

    You could check the British Council website or Google it

  3. Karimkassam@btopenworld.com'

    Please advice me do you have a Center in china where my wife can take and or prepare for ukba test approved tainjian china is where she is

  4. info@coel.co.in'

    Applying for Marriage/ Spouse Visa for UK & Need an English Test Certificate?????????

    College of English Language Provides training for passing this english language test.

    We also conduct UKBA Approved english test at our centres in India and Nepal.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked by *.

You must beLogged in to post a comment.