Notice: wp_enqueue_script was called incorrectly. Scripts and styles should not be registered or enqueued until the wp_enqueue_scripts, admin_enqueue_scripts, or login_enqueue_scripts hooks. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.3.0.) in /home/immigration/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4138
Yes Students Can Still Come to the UK | Immigration Matters

Want to learn more about UK/EU Immigration Law? Click Act Now to learn more... Act Now

Call Us +44 7950 458 464 |
 Categories : News Uncategorized


There are over 300,000 international students studying in the UK at more than 170 universities, 500 further education and specialist colleges, and other accredited institutions. The students come from more than 180 countries and the British Council believes their numbers could rise to 800,000 by 2018. It is estimated that the international student market is worth around £5 billion a year to the UK economy.

In order to obtain a visa, the student “must be able to support themselves financially while studying in the UK, without being dependent on money earned from taking a part time job”. However, students are allowed to take a part-time job to make their life in the UK more “comfortable”. In addition, students should also demonstrate that they intend returning home to their country after completing their studies. At the same time the Home Office welcomes graduates who wish to use their talents by staying on in the UK.

The rules are a little confusing but generally, students can:

· Take a part time job to make life more comfortable

· Depending on status, may need to register / get permission

· Depending on stamp in passport, may be able to work 20 hrs / wk

· Work more than 20 hours for Placements and Internships

There is a huge range of courses available to international students from language courses to MBAs. In recent times NVQ (National Vocational Qualification) courses have become popular, especially in Health and Social Care.

Students from Switzerland, an EU or EEA country do not need permission to work in the UK. Other international students need to check their passport. The stamp may allow the student to work within certain ‘restrictions’ or prohibit them from working. Students taking Sandwich courses and Internship are not usually restricted by the 20 hours per week rule. Dependants of student visa holder are allowed to work if they receive the passport stamp or sticker that allows them to work.


Nursing students have to show: they have been accepted for training as a student nurse or midwife (leading to a recognised British qualification), or are already qualified abroad and enrolled on an adaptation course leading to registration in the UK under the Central Council for Nursing, Midwifery and Health Visiting; they are able to and intend to follow the course of training; they do not intend to work or engage in business other than their nursing training; and they have sufficient funds for accommodation and maintenance in the UK without using public funds – this can include funding from a Department of Health bursary.

People wishing to train as nurses may also enter as prospective students, in order to come for interviews at hospitals, and to finalise arrangements for their training. Visa nationals are not able to change status within the UK to become student nurses; they must have entered with a student nurse or prospective student entry clearance. The spouses and children of student nurses are admissible on the same terms as those of other students.

Nurses from non-EEA countries may apply to switch into work permit employment after qualification without leaving the UK, provided they satisfy the work permits criteria and have existing leave as a student nurse.

What are NVQS?

NVQ courses are work related and competence based. A large part of an NVQ course is likely to be of a practical nature and involve employment. In order to meet the requirement of 15 hours organised day time study per week, hours spent on a work placement (paid or unpaid) can be taken into account if they are necessary part of the course and are undertaken with the agreement of the educational establishment.

The NVQ4 Registered Managers Award has also become popular with qualified nurses who wish to pursue managerial studies or posts.


There is a shortage of workers in the Care Sector within the UK and Ireland. There is now a campaign to fill these work placements. offer a 2-year student care worker scheme known as the ‘earn while you learn scheme’.

What they offer You

  • Finding the College
  • Employment opportunities in the UK and Ireland with good rates of pay
  • Find and book accommodation for your arrival
  • Assistance in opening a UK bank account and obtaining your National Insurance Number
  • Full professional support and guidance with your visa application
  • Welfare Support

For further details, see

Spread the Word, like or share this page, your friends will also love it and thanks for it.

Do you employ foreign workers? Don't risk a £20,000 fine and a possible custodial sentence. We can advice on Entrepreneur Visas, Investor Visas and Home Office sponsor licence compliance for your business. Use the button below to schedule an appointment...

One Response to “Yes Students Can Still Come to the UK”
Read them below or add one

  1. jovita says :

    Greetings!I’m an NVQ 3 student in health and social care and I just want to know if my husband will be allowed to work if we apply for extension this coming May.We heard that the home office is restricting the dependants of a student from working.Thank.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked by *.

You must beLogged in to post a comment.