Notice: wp_enqueue_script was called incorrectly. Scripts and styles should not be registered or enqueued until the wp_enqueue_scripts, admin_enqueue_scripts, or login_enqueue_scripts hooks. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.3.0.) in /home/immigration/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4138
Students in UK on a Student Visa must study at an educational establishment on DIUS Register | Immigration Matters

Want to learn more about UK/EU Immigration Law? Click Act Now to learn more... Act Now

Call Us +44 7950 458 464 |
 Categories : News Uncategorized


In order to come to the UK on a Student Visa, or extend a Student Visa, you must be enrolled in a college, university or educational provider listed on the DIUS Register. No entry on the Register – no visa.

In 2006, 309,000 people came to Britain on student visas from outside the EU, to study a wide range of courses in the many thousands of colleges competing for their custom.

According to Home Office figures, international students contribute £2.5 billion to the UK economy each year in tuition fees alone and an overall estimated contribution of £8.5 billion.

The DIUS or Department for Innovation, Universities & Skills publishes a list of approved educational providers (formerly known as the DfES Register) in the United Kingdom.

The ‘Register of Education and Training Provider’s’ is designed to help the Home Office tackle immigration abuse in the education sector.

All colleges that want to recruit overseas students must appear on the Register, otherwise Entry Clearance or a Student Visa will not be granted or extended.

The DUIS website clearly states that:

“The Home Office will only grant student visas to people intending to study at an institution on the Register.”

Although colleges are vetted and can be inspected at any time, the DIUS points out that a listing on the register is not a recommendation.

“If a college is on the Register this does not mean there is any guarantee of the quality of education available at that college. There is no automatic quality assurance or accreditation of colleges on the Register.”

The Register will be replaced by a new stricter licensing scheme when Tier 4 of the Points Based System comes into force in the spring of 2009.

Immigration Adviser and Appeal Specialist, Mike Higgs of Bison UK, deals with a large number of Entry Clearance and Appeal cases for students. He said:

“If you are in the UK on a student visa you must be in full time study and enrolled with an approved college or educational institution in order to comply with your visa conditions. This is covered in the UK Border Agency immigration rules under Rule 57(i)(c) and 57(ii)(c).”

Mike receives many enquiries from students who are either not studying, sometimes through no fault of their own because their provider has failed to deliver the course or has gone out of business, or who are enrolled in a college not on the DIUS list.

“Students not engaged in full time study risk being sent home and will have great difficulty in extending their ‘further leave to remain’ in the UK.

“You are allowed change courses or educational provider, but you should inform the Home Office in writing. Most colleges will assist you with this letter.” He said.

If you are abroad and wish to come to the UK to study, check that the college to which you are applying is on the Register. Student visas will not be issued to overseas student unless the educational establishment or college is included on the DIUS Register.

You can search the DIUS Register at:

Spread the Word, like or share this page, your friends will also love it and thanks for it.

Do you employ foreign workers? Don't risk a £20,000 fine and a possible custodial sentence. We can advice on Entrepreneur Visas, Investor Visas and Home Office sponsor licence compliance for your business. Use the button below to schedule an appointment...

One Response to “Students in UK on a Student Visa must study at an educational establishment on DIUS Register”
Read them below or add one

  1. Dear sir/Madem
    I am Mrs Rehana from Pakistan. I am here in Uk since 2006. I have done BScN from Aga Khan University Karachi Pakistan in 2000.I want to continuse my study here in Uk .Whreas, my presently college is sespended by UKBA
    If you dot not could you please reponse me .My visa is going to expired in july 2010.Please as soon as possibale reponse me back.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked by *.

You must beLogged in to post a comment.