Notice: wp_enqueue_script was called incorrectly. Scripts and styles should not be registered or enqueued until the wp_enqueue_scripts, admin_enqueue_scripts, or login_enqueue_scripts hooks. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.3.0.) in /home/immigration/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4138
Identity Cards for foreign national skilled migrant workers | Immigration Matters

Want to learn more about UK/EU Immigration Law? Click Act Now to learn more... Act Now

Call Us +44 7950 458 464 |
 Categories : News


From 6 January 2010, skilled migrant workers (under Tier 2 of the points based system) and their dependants join the list of foreign nationals required to carry an identity card, the UK Border Agency announced this week.

In November 2008, the UK Border Agency started issuing compulsory identity cards to certain categories of non-European foreign nationals when they were granted permission to extend their stay in the UK. They have since twice widened the range of categories that require the identity. Tier 4 overseas students are already being issued ID cards.

If a migrant in one of these categories applies to extend their stay in the UK, they must enrol their biometrics (fingerprints and facial image) before we decide whether to give them permission to stay. If their application is successful, they will be given an identity card.

The card provides a simple way of confirming the holder’s nationality, identity and immigration status in the UK. It shows whether they have the right to work or study legitimately under the UK’s points-based system for immigration, and helps them to access public services.

Related article:

ID cards for foreign nationals extended to Tier 2 skilled workers from January

If you need any immigration advice or help with Studying in the UK, Settlement, Citizenship, Sponsorship, extending Work Permits, Visa or an appeal against a refusal please email: or visit

Spread the Word, like or share this page, your friends will also love it and thanks for it.

Do you employ foreign workers? Don't risk a £20,000 fine and a possible custodial sentence. We can advice on Entrepreneur Visas, Investor Visas and Home Office sponsor licence compliance for your business. Use the button below to schedule an appointment...


Immigration Adviser, Speaker and Author See also: Profile - Profile:!/groups/14119859749/

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked by *.

You must beLogged in to post a comment.