Notice: wp_enqueue_script was called incorrectly. Scripts and styles should not be registered or enqueued until the wp_enqueue_scripts, admin_enqueue_scripts, or login_enqueue_scripts hooks. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.3.0.) in /home/immigration/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4138
Romanians leave Northern Ireland after race attacks | Immigration Matters

Want to learn more about UK/EU Immigration Law? Click Act Now to learn more... Act Now

Hide
Show
Call Us +44 7950 458 464 | info@immigrationmatters.co.uk
 Categories : News

 

Romanian families flee Belfast and head back to Romania the BBC reports. 

Social Development Minister Margaret Ritchie said 25 people had already returned home and 75 were leaving as soon as they could, but 14 plan to remain. 

One man has been remanded in custody charged with intimidating Romanian people in Belfast. 

Shane Murphy, 21, of Donegall Road in the city, denies the charge.

His solicitor, who had applied for bail on his client’s behalf, said Mr Murphy also denied a further charge of acting provocatively by shouting racist comments at a rally held on Lisburn Road in the city last week.

He was denied bail after the judge sitting at Belfast Magistrates Court said there was a danger Mr Murphy could interfere with witnesses.

On Monday, a 15-year-old boy appeared in court charged in connection with the same incidents.

A 16-year-old boy appeared alongside him accused of provocative behaviour at the anti-racism rally.

The Housing Executive is paying for the families, members of the Roma ethnic group, to return to Romania using emergency funds.

A spokesman for the Northern Ireland Council for Ethnic Minorities said it was likely the remaining families would leave before the end of the week.

“We have all spoken to the Romanian families and the majority of them want to go home,” he said.

City Church, which last week provided temporary overnight shelter for the ethnic Roma, was targeted by vandals on Monday night.

Three men, aged 20, arrested in connection with the attack, were later released.

Police are not linking this incident to the ongoing investigation into the attacks on Romanian families in south Belfast.

They said there was no indication that the attack on the church was hate or racially motivated

Pastor Malcolm Morgan said the church was covered in broken glass.

“I arrived this morning to find windows smashed at the front of our church and our main glass doorway smashed as well,” he said.

“Stones were lying scattered on the floor inside and outside and obviously broken glass was everywhere.”

On Monday night, another two youths, aged 16 and 17, were arrested in connection with alleged provocative conduct and intimidation. They were released on Tuesday.

Police do not believe paramilitaries were involved in last week’s attacks, which were condemned by all political parties.
Source: BBC

If you need any immigration advice or help with studying in the UK, Settlement, Citizenship, Sponsorship, extending Work Permits, Visa or an appeal against a refusal please email:

info@immigrationmatters.co.uk or visit www.immigrationmatters.co.uk

Spread the Word, like or share this page, your friends will also love it and thanks for it.



Do you employ foreign workers? Don't risk a £20,000 fine and a possible custodial sentence. We can advice on Entrepreneur Visas, Investor Visas and Home Office sponsor licence compliance for your business. Use the button below to schedule an appointment...

About

Immigration Adviser, Speaker and Author See also: www.LinkedIn.com Profile - http://www.linkedin.com/profile/edit?trk=hb_tab_pro_top www.Ecademy.com Profile: http://www.ecademy.com/account.php?id=110038 http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/14119859749/

One Response to “Romanians leave Northern Ireland after race attacks”
Read them below or add one

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked by *.

You must beLogged in to post a comment.