Notice: wp_enqueue_script was called incorrectly. Scripts and styles should not be registered or enqueued until the wp_enqueue_scripts, admin_enqueue_scripts, or login_enqueue_scripts hooks. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.3.0.) in /home/immigration/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4138
Immigration News Weekly Round-up 26 July 2009 | Immigration Matters

Want to learn more about UK/EU Immigration Law? Click Act Now to learn more... Act Now

Call Us +44 7950 458 464 |
 Categories : News


Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act gets Royal Assent 

How will the Care Sector, which depends on overseas workers, and work permit holders be affected by the new Law? 

This week the Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act 2009 received the Royal Assent, which means the Borders, Citizenship and Immigration ‘Bill’ has now officially become an Act of Parliament and is now enshrined in UK Law.

When a Bill has completed all its parliamentary stages, it needs Royal Assent from the Queen before it can become law. Bills that receive Royal Assent become Acts of Parliament.

The rules are part of the biggest curbs on migration in six decades and will make it harder for working migrants to settle in the UK.  

Related articles:

Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Bill will make it harder to settle in the UK

How will new Act affect non-EU Care Sector workers?

The care sector, which includes hospitals, care homes and domiciliary care agencies employs a large number of non-EU care workers and nurses on work permits.

Many of these migrant workers, employed on work permits, are expecting to obtain permanent residency or ‘Indefinite Leave to Remain’ (ILR) when their current permits expire – having worked for five years.

Under the new Act they may find that this is no longer possible.

Employers could find themselves having to once again extend work permits, which will mean paying further fees and registering as sponsors under Tier 2, if they want to keep their overseas staff such as Senior Carers and Nurses.

Thousands of work permit holders have already had to extend work permits and leave to remain in the last three years when the Home Office moved the then ILR limit from four to five years.

Now the Government is bringing in further changes, which it openly admits will cut down the numbers of migrant workers settling in the UK.

Whether or not you agree with immigration, there can be no argument about the need for overseas workers in the long term care sector.

What should you do if you are in the UK on a Work Permit?

Evelie Padadac of Immigration Advisers Bison UK advises migrant workers to “apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain as soon as you are eligible and make sure your current permit takes you beyond five years of continuous work”.

The new law does not mean work permit holders can no longer obtain ILR, but it will take longer to obtain.

What should you do if you are in the UK under other categories such as ILR?

Apply for Citizenship as soon as you are eligible, unless of course you have no desire to be a British Citizen.

If you do not agree with the above changes, you should write to your MP and ask him or her to write to Phil Woolas to request a longer transitional period.



House of Commons Home Affairs Committee report on ‘Bogus Colleges’ slams Government

The House of Commons Home Affairs Committee has published it’s report on ‘Bogus Colleges’ heavily criticising the Government for doing enough to control rogue educational institutions. MPs on the committee claim that tens of thousands of foreign nationals “may” have been brought into the UK illegally by fake colleges. Full story…

Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act gives new powers to Border Officers

The Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act, which received the Royal Assent on 21 July 2009, gives thousands of customs and immigration officers wide ranging new powers, the UK Border Agency has announced. Full story…

UK Swine Flu Advice Service launched  

A new Swine Flu advice and resource service has been launched today in England by the National Pandemic Flu Service. Full story…

The 2009 MOVE EXPO SMX Convention Center 31 July to 1 August

The 2009 MOVE (Migration Overseas opportunities, Visas and Employment) Expo gives Filipinos a unique opportunity to visit exhibitors from the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the UK – all in one place. Charles Kelly of Immigration Matters will be speaking at the event at the SMX Convention Center, Mall of Asia, Manila from 31 July to 1 August 2009.

If you need any immigration advice or help with Settlement, Citizenship, Sponsorship, extending Work Permits, Visa or an appeal against a refusal please email: or visit

Spread the Word, like or share this page, your friends will also love it and thanks for it.

Do you employ foreign workers? Don't risk a £20,000 fine and a possible custodial sentence. We can advice on Entrepreneur Visas, Investor Visas and Home Office sponsor licence compliance for your business. Use the button below to schedule an appointment...


Immigration Adviser, Speaker and Author See also: Profile - Profile:!/groups/14119859749/

One Response to “Immigration News Weekly Round-up 26 July 2009”
Read them below or add one


    Dear sir,

    i am an indian citizen..
    i am interested to work in uk or australia or usa..
    i want work permit visa in the above mentioned countries..
    i found out that you provide easy route for immigration visa..

    My qualification:
    > 10th fail (throughout english medium)
    > NIIT computer courses certificates
    >fluency in speaking, writting and listening english..

    age: 23

    > 2years in welspun india ltd. as officer of warehouse department
    > 1year experience in doshian shipping company as D.E.O

    i ask you for some sponsorship help to me to the country mentioned..

    So please do help me..
    Thanking you..

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked by *.

You must beLogged in to post a comment.