Notice: wp_enqueue_script was called incorrectly. Scripts and styles should not be registered or enqueued until the wp_enqueue_scripts, admin_enqueue_scripts, or login_enqueue_scripts hooks. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.3.0.) in /home/immigration/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4138
Immigration News Weekly Round up 02 September 2012 | Immigration Matters

Want to learn more about UK/EU Immigration Law? Click Act Now to learn more... Act Now

Call Us +44 7950 458 464 |
 Categories : News


UKBA publish information for students at London Metropolitan University

The UK Border Agency (UKBA) has taken the unusual step of publishing special advice for students affected by the closure of a Tier 4 sponsor, in this case the London Metropolitan University, which lost its licence to sponsor international students this week. The agency has published a page of guidance for international students who are studying at London Metropolitan University or who are planning to study there.

London Metropolitan University students demonstrate outside 10 Downing Street

London Met students have staged demonstrations today outside the Prime Minister’s residence and at the campus in protest against the UK Border Agency’s revocation of the University’s Tier 4 Sponsors licence.

London Metropolitan University’s licence to sponsor international students revoked

A London university’s licence to sponsor and teach overseas students has been revoked by the UK Border Agency, leaving more than 2,000 undergraduates potentially facing deportation. London Metropolitan University has had its ability to sponsor students from outside the EU revoked, and will no longer be allowed to authorise visas or retain thousands of Tier 4 students already studying at the university.

Cynthia Barker of Immigration Advisers Bison Management UK, which advises students on visas and university placements, described the decision as a disaster:

UKBA launch service for universities sponsoring foreign students

The UK Border Agency has launched a new pilot scheme offering UK universities a range of specialist immigration services, ‘recognising the importance of universities within the higher education sector’.

London Metropolitan University sets up helpline for anxious overseas students, as UKBA decides their fate

Beleaguered London Metropolitan University officials have set up a help-line for anxious international applicants – as doubts still hangs over its Tier 4 licence and the right to sponsor overseas students.

Home Office to crack down on sham marriages and fake weddings to obtain a UK passport

In an article for the Sun newspaper this weekend, British Home Secretary Theresa May writes: ‘Let’s close door on illegal immigrants and call a halt to fake marriages.’

London Metropolitan University’s Tier 4 Sponsors licence to be revoked by UKBA

Government owned London Metropolitan University is to lose its Tier 4 Sponsors licence to teach non-EU foreign students, it has been reported, becoming the first UK university to be stripped of its Highly Trusted Sponsor status by the UK Border Agency, the Sunday Times has revealed.

If you need any immigration advice or are worried about the new immigration rules or need help with Sponsorship or Tier 2, Tier 4, applying for university if your college has closed down, Visa, ILR, Settlement, Citizenship, Dependant Visa or an appeal against a UK Border Agency or British Embassy refusal, or if you have been waiting for a reply from the Home Office for longer than a year, please email: or visit for free immigration news updates.

Majestic College offer special packages for EU students. They also have a number of employers looking for staff right now and are willing to employ Bulgarians and Romanians.

For more information call Joanna on 0208 207 1020 or email

Overseas students and workers can qualify for a tax refund 

You could qualify for a tax refund if you are an overseas student, work permit holder, Tier 1, Yellow or Blue Card holder – in fact any visa type – even if you are no longer legal or even in the UK!


It doesn’t matter where you come from – UK, Europe or anywhere else in the world, it is important to ensure that your qualifications are recognised. In the UK there is a national agency that carries out this service, they are called UK NARIC.


Spread the Word, like or share this page, your friends will also love it and thanks for it.

Do you employ foreign workers? Don't risk a £20,000 fine and a possible custodial sentence. We can advice on Entrepreneur Visas, Investor Visas and Home Office sponsor licence compliance for your business. Use the button below to schedule an appointment...


Immigration Adviser, Speaker and Author See also: Profile - Profile:!/groups/14119859749/

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked by *.

You must beLogged in to post a comment.