Notice: wp_enqueue_script was called incorrectly. Scripts and styles should not be registered or enqueued until the wp_enqueue_scripts, admin_enqueue_scripts, or login_enqueue_scripts hooks. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.3.0.) in /home/immigration/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4138
Foreigners living in the Philippines must apply for an ID Card | Immigration Matters

Want to learn more about UK/EU Immigration Law? Click Act Now to learn more... Act Now

Call Us +44 7950 458 464 |
 Categories : News


Balita Pinoy reports that foreigners in the Philippines must secure electronic identification card (I-Cards) from the Bureau of Immigration (BI) to avoid being declared as illegal aliens, an immigration official said.

The BI have issued a reminder that the I-Card is mandatory under the Philippine Immigration Act of 1920, as amended, that all aliens who are staying in the country for more than two months must have an I-Card.

Foreigners staying in the country for more than two months without an I-Card will be declared illegal aliens and will be deported under immigration laws.

Once deported, it will be difficult for them to return to the Philippines because they will be blacklisted.

The BI said there are two kinds of I-Card. One is for tourists or temporary visitors and the other is for foreigners who are permanent residents because of marriage to Filipinos, people with businesses here or they are working here.

With an I-Card, all aliens in the country can easily be monitored for security purposes.

The I-Card is valid for one year. If a foreigner leaves the country and returns after less than a year, he will not be required to apply for another card.

The I-Card for temporary visitors can be used if they will apply for driver’s license with the Land ‘Transportation Office or open a bank account.

The I-Card for temporary visitors was implemented in Manila starting last January and rolled out now throughout the rest of the country.

If the I-Card is requested in Manila, it can be released on the day of the application. Outside Manila, it will take 48 hours.

If a foreigner’s stay has expired and he wants to extend it, he will apply for extension and pay US50 plus P500. There’s no need to submit pictures and personal data because BI local offices have passport reading machines that will forward these data to Manila.

Once approved the extension application, the BI-Manila will automatically issue the I-Card and send it to the local BI offices through any accredited mail firm. Source:

See also:

ID Cards be scrapped by new Home Secretary

Fast track your visa with UKBA’s ‘Super Premium’ service

United States to introduce new entrepreneur visa

International students face new global crackdown 

OFW’s in Middle East stranded

If you need any immigration advice or help with Studying in the UK, Settlement, Citizenship, Sponsorship, extending Work Permits, Visa or an appeal against a refusal please email: or visit

Spread the Word, like or share this page, your friends will also love it and thanks for it.

Do you employ foreign workers? Don't risk a £20,000 fine and a possible custodial sentence. We can advice on Entrepreneur Visas, Investor Visas and Home Office sponsor licence compliance for your business. Use the button below to schedule an appointment...


Immigration Adviser, Speaker and Author See also: Profile - Profile:!/groups/14119859749/

3 Responses to “Foreigners living in the Philippines must apply for an ID Card”
Read them below or add one

  1. Paul Ellis says :

    BI having had relevant information for only 7 months decide that another Ph40,000 ( on top of the PH60,000 already paid ) is required to process my application for a 13a visa. This they say is because my wife has been divorced overseas and the Philippines does not recognise divorce. I wonder why 75% of the Philippino women married in the UK are divorced in the Philippines. May be a question to the British Embasy about the legality of their marriage in the UK

  2. Ray Bott says :

    Hi guys!
    The above is true, of course, but reality is that I am waiting for 2 months already and still no i-card in sight! My local BI office (San Fernando, La Union) has not received any i-cards since end of March 2010. To prevent me from being considered illegal alien (as per above note) they advised me to take my receipt for the i-card (of course, they charged me though they did not deliver – this is the Philippines, never forhget …!!!) and leave it in my passport.

  3. […] Foreigners living in the Philippines must apply for an ID Card […]

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked by *.

You must beLogged in to post a comment.