Notice: wp_enqueue_script was called incorrectly. Scripts and styles should not be registered or enqueued until the wp_enqueue_scripts, admin_enqueue_scripts, or login_enqueue_scripts hooks. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.3.0.) in /home/immigration/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4138
Extending your student visa | Immigration Matters

Want to learn more about UK/EU Immigration Law? Click Act Now to learn more... Act Now

Call Us +44 7950 458 464 |
 Categories : News Uncategorized


Extending your student visa in the UK should be straightforward, but many discover that the process is not as simple as they think.

We receive hundreds of enquiries from students who want to extend their visas to complete their studies or start a new course. Many are refused by the Home Office for a variety of reasons.

If you are an international student on a student visa or with leave (permission to stay) to study in the UK, you can apply to extend your visa subject to meeting the immigration rules.

The UK Border Agency website advises that:

You must have last entered the UK with a valid student visa or prospective student entry clearance or visa

You must have been granted permission to enter or stay to re-sit an examination, or

as a student union sabbatical officer, as a as a work permit holder, under the Science and Engineering Graduates Scheme (now known as the International Graduates Scheme) or under the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland Scheme or

you have valid leave (permission to stay) as a student.

If you attend a succession of short courses below degree level the maximum time you can stay in total as a student is two years. A short course is a course less than one year long or longer courses broken off before completion.

How to apply for a Student Visa Extension

In order to apply for an extension to stay in the UK to study you will need to complete an FLR(S) ‘Further Leave to Remain’ application form, which can be downloaded from the UK Border Agency website.

You must carefully study the guidance notes before completing and submitting the application form, otherwise you could be refused and lose your fee.

Why do Students get refused an extension?

In most cases, students are refused an extension of their leave to remain because they have failed to comply with the immigration rules. Common reasons include:

Working too many hours (yes, they can find out)

Not making satisfactory progress on the course (yes, they check attendance records)

Studying at a ‘non-approved’ educational establishment, which is not on the DIUS Register of Educational and Training Providers.

The first two reasons are quite clear, however, the last is less obvious. Many students arrive in the UK on a student visa for an approved college, but later find that the College or course is not what they thought it was or, as in the case of Affinity Training, the college has gone out of business. Students often feel pressured into rushing to signing up with a new provider or college and fail to check the DIUS Register.

You can search the register by visiting:

Transferring to another provider can be traumatic, but do not be pushed into making the wrong decision, as choosing the wrong college may result in your visa extension being refused.

Can I appeal against a refusal?

Yes, you can appeal to the Asylum and Immigration Tribunal (AIT), but you must have grounds of appeal and a valid case. If in doubt, take legal advice or see for further information on the appeals process.

Finally, your stay in the UK on a student visa does not qualify you for permanent residency or Indefinite Leave, however, if you are legally in the UK for more than 10 years you may qualify for residence under the ‘long stay’ concession.

Spread the Word, like or share this page, your friends will also love it and thanks for it.

Do you employ foreign workers? Don't risk a £20,000 fine and a possible custodial sentence. We can advice on Entrepreneur Visas, Investor Visas and Home Office sponsor licence compliance for your business. Use the button below to schedule an appointment...

469 Responses to “Extending your student visa”
Read them below or add one

  1. All forms can be found on the UKBA or Home Office website –

  2. my visa is due on 1 july 2013 .i ddnt pass on my previous exams and now wants to extend my visa to do resits which will be in mid august .which form will i use and how much balance will i have to it advisable to change the university

  3. Raja Asad says :


    Could anyone help?
    I completed my Master degree in 2009. I got two years PSW. I then swithed into tie4(student)visa. Unfortunately I failed one module twice and i’m unable to complete my degree. Moreover I’ve also completed five years at university level so I can’t extend my visa unless I get admission in Ph.D. Is there any possibility to get admission in Ph.d on my previous master degree which I completed way bak in 2009 ? Please help me in this regard- thanks

  4. Hi i extended my student visa in fund was my fund from home india I showed my birth certificate, 2 lakh rupees stmt with balance 28 days. Which is 2300 pound..n a fixed deposit 3 lakhs till 2013 cheque.
    Is cheque acceptable? I paid college fees 1000 at time of application.
    Making 2500 remaining fees. I wasn’t sure how much I showed at time of application. I hv shown a letter from manager stating that fixed deposit cheque n savings of 2 lakh rupees of my mothers is for my use.will I have fund issue. Or should I pay my fees to college n they can update at homeoffice my fees so my remaining fees at funds which is 2300 n plus the cheque of 3 lakh rupees will be enough.?please please reply

  5. Dear Sir/Madam,
    I am a full time student in UK. I started my course from Feb which will end by 2013 Jan. MY visa will be ending in 2013 May, however, my graduation day is at September 2013. Is there any possibility that I can extend my visa up till September just to stay longer for my graduation day as it would be costly if I go back home and fly back here again. Please advise.

  6. Hi, is it possible for a student to extend their stay with relatives for a further few months as a holiday, if all their expenses are paid for? Also if they have attended their course sucessfully?

    Thank you

  7. Hmm it appears like your website ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your
    blog. I as well am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still new to the whole thing. Do you have any helpful hints for first-time blog writers? I’d really appreciate

  8. Hi would you mind letting me know which webhost you’re working with? I’ve loaded your blog
    in 3 completely different web browsers and I must say
    this blog loads a lot faster then most. Can you recommend a good hosting provider at a honest
    price? Kudos, I appreciate it!

  9. Hi, I am masters student and waiting for my degree, i extented my visa for the completition of the course which came (no work). I want to further apply for a student visa. but I work for some days although I have (no work)visa. Will it create problem for my new extension as a student. Thank u .

  10. Hi, I came in the us in june 2008 to complete undergraduate. But for different reason I couldnt finish this. I have done some diploma and i extended my visa with level 5 which i valid up to July 2013. I am not clear about the new rules. how long i can extend to complete my under graduation? if i apply again to extend my visa with a university top up or in any undergraduate course can i get my visa extended?
    i would be very grateful if you kindly reply me with a proper solution.

  11. Zohaib says :

    Hello Sir,
    I just finis my studies and my visa expiring in October. My wife is pregnant and on IVF treatment as she is is just one month pregnant. She is my dependant and my and her visa is expiring in october as she stays the whole period of my study with me. How can i extend my visa? Is there any category to extend my visa on meical grounds. Please let me know in detail as i need to extend it as soon as possible.

  12. Many students fail courses. You should see an adviser for a proper consultation, as the 14 year Rule is not as straightforward as many people assume. Try Level 3 OISC Registered Immigration Advisers Bison UK on 0208 905 1822

  13. i want to extend visa but i am fail first course so which thing me need for extend visa plz guide me thanks friends.must reply me some body plz

  14. Rajiv Gopal says :

    Dear Sir/Madam

    I have applied for my VISA extension about 3 months ago(including the bio-metric), and I still have got no response from the UKBA. I would like to know what is going on with these applications as I have heard that some people who have applied for the VISA, haven’t got it even after 9 months. It would really be grateful to see a reply from someone.


  15. Information about visa extension provided here is very useful.

  16. Hi there,
    I have applied to extend my student visa in last November and i am still waiting for my visa.I am doing ACCA in LSBF and I have completed up to P2. what can be happen to my application? I am still not getting my Passport? why homeoffice is holding my application for this long time and do i need to act any step in this situation or not?

  17. Hi, I am about to finish my first year as an international student and was wondering what steps I have to take before starting my second year? I’m confused because my visa sticker says valid thru 2014… Is this all I need to come back next semester? Do I still have to provide evidence eg money and grades? Thank you for any help you can give.

  18. asim Mehmood says :

    i want to extend visa but i am fail first course so which thing me need for extend visa plz guide me thanks friends.

  19. Hi there,
    I have applied to extend my T4 student visa in last June. my college was in the sponsor list when i have applied for my visa, but after three months my college has withdrawn there licence so they are closed now and college is no more. but i am still waiting for my visa, in this situation, can i work full time or not ? and what can be happen to my this application? why homeoffice is holding my application for this long time when the college is not in the list ? and do i need to act any step in this situation or not ? I am so confused !! please please suggest me ASAP …

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked by *.

You must beLogged in to post a comment.