Notice: wp_enqueue_script was called incorrectly. Scripts and styles should not be registered or enqueued until the wp_enqueue_scripts, admin_enqueue_scripts, or login_enqueue_scripts hooks. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.3.0.) in /home/immigration/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4138
Immigration Rule change for Tier 2 working visa migrants – proof of income required for ILR Indefinite Leave to Remain | Immigration Matters

Want to learn more about UK/EU Immigration Law? Click Act Now to learn more... Act Now

Call Us +44 7950 458 464 |
 Categories : News


The UK Border Agency (UKBA) has announced a change to the Immigration Rules, which were laid before Parliament this week, related to Tier 2 and work permit holding migrants applying for indefinite leave to remain (ILR).

The Government has made a ‘minor technical change’ to the evidential requirements for settlement: 

‘From 31 October, migrants under Tier 2 and work permit holders will need to provide supporting documents as proof of their income before they are granted settlement’. 

In practice, proof of income is normally requested by caseworkers when considering an application for extensions or ILR, but the changes to the Immigration Rules sets this in stone.

Cynthia Barker, of Immigration Advisers Bison UK, warns that this minor change should be of major concern to work permit and Tier 2 visa holders who are not being paid the correct salaries – i.e. as stated on their work permits. 

‘Migrant workers often find themselves being compromised by employers who basically state salary information on immigration forms in order to obtain a work permit but do not actually pay the agreed rate to the worker. 

‘In some cases the worker has agreed to the deception, but in others they are unaware or forced to go along with the ‘arrangement’ (which the UK Border Agency would consider as a fraudulent application) in order to keep their jobs and stay in the UK.’ 

In most cases for Senior Care Worker work permits, the required minimum pay rate was £7.02 per hour and it was on this basis that a work permit would have been issued. If you are not receiving this rate or more you will have problems renewing your visa or applying for ILR. Your visa could also be cancelled following a UK Border Agency inspection and file check.

Employers – who are advised to carry out regular file audits on all migrant workers before they get a visit from the UKBA – may get a slap on the wrist or a civil penalty, but the worker could face a refusal and eventual deportation.

Cynthia Barker advises workers who are being paid below the legal rate to talk to ‘their employers or seek further advice’. If a settlement cannot be reached the worker may have to find another employer.

See also:

National Minimum Wage rates rise this month but are you being paid the correct rate?

Health care workers needed in UK now – Bulgarian and Romanian citizens wanted by employers

If you need any immigration advice or help with Sponsorship or Work Permits, Visa, ILR/Settlement, Citizenship, dependant visa or an appeal against a refusal please email: or visit

Spread the Word, like or share this page, your friends will also love it and thanks for it.

Do you employ foreign workers? Don't risk a £20,000 fine and a possible custodial sentence. We can advice on Entrepreneur Visas, Investor Visas and Home Office sponsor licence compliance for your business. Use the button below to schedule an appointment...


Immigration Adviser, Speaker and Author See also: Profile - Profile:!/groups/14119859749/

3 Responses to “Immigration Rule change for Tier 2 working visa migrants – proof of income required for ILR Indefinite Leave to Remain”
Read them below or add one

  1. Silvergate says :

    I was worked in UK as a manager on one of the pizza shop their. With a valid and legal Tier 2 working Visa that will expired on May 2012.

    I’d resigned my job last July 2011 due to extra extra long hours of work that imposed by employer and recieving a wage less than to the signed contract. Now, I’m back on my country hoping the return to UK.

    Just want to know if I still return to UK and use my remaining months on my Visa without a current employer/job? Use the remaining months of my Visa to look for an employer?

    I can stay with my relatives for my accomodation. Hoping that you can give me answer so that i can process my return.

  2. myrna ringor says :

    I am presently working here in Saudi Arabia as a Staff Nurse and I am a new applicant seeking for a Sponsorship/Work Permits,is it possible for a non-EU to apply?as you have stated that Bulgarian and Romanian only are wanted by the employers.I hope to hear from you.
    Thank you so much.
    Best regards,

  3. […] Immigration Rule change for Tier 2 working visa migrants – proof of income required for ILR Indef… […]

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked by *.

You must beLogged in to post a comment.