Notice: wp_enqueue_script was called incorrectly. Scripts and styles should not be registered or enqueued until the wp_enqueue_scripts, admin_enqueue_scripts, or login_enqueue_scripts hooks. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.3.0.) in /home/immigration/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4138
7 Tips For Senior Carers Trapped In Work Permit Lottery | Immigration Matters

Want to learn more about UK/EU Immigration Law? Click Act Now to learn more... Act Now

Call Us +44 7950 458 464 |
 Categories : News Uncategorized


The UK Government’s insistence that Senior Carer Work Permits can only be renewed on a new minimum salary of £7.02 per hour has left thousands of overseas workers facing an uncertain future and job “lottery”, as employers decide their fate.

A few employers, mostly around the London area, already pay in excess of this newly imposed minimum, but the majority will not pay anywhere near this level.

Unless the Border and Immigration Agency (BIA) adopts a more flexible approach on pay and stops this immoral ‘Work Permit lottery’ up to 25000 care staff will be deported and patients in care homes will be put at risk.

The new guidelines published last month, puts Senior Carers in an extremely difficult position where they cannot leave their job or change employer because, in the words of the BIA, new Work Permits will be “rare”.

The only choice they have is to stay put and hope that they are one of the lucky ones whose employer is willing to pay them £7.02 per hour.

I am still receiving hundreds of calls and emails every day from worried overseas carers and whilst I usually cannot properly advise a client unless they have come in for a free consultation, here are my 7 tips for Senior Carers trapped in the Work Permits lottery:

1. Do not leave your job

If you move to another employer, you will almost certainly not get another Work Permit and you might as well go directly to the airport and take the next flight home.

2. Seek Professional Advice

Go and see an OISC registered immigration adviser and look at all your options. Most advisers should offer you a free consultation.

3. Talk to you employer

Communicate with the decision maker in your organisation. If you are not being paid at least £7.02 per hour, try and convince them that you are worth it.

4. Start your own Campaign

If your employer cannot pay the higher salary involve your MP (see How to Write to your MP), church and even your residents and start your own local campaign.

5. Join a union

A ‘no brainer’. Major Unions, such as Unison, have massive funding and can support members.

6. Look at Alternatives

Think laterally and look at alternative ideas – are there any other ways you could stay in the UK, for instance on a student programme combined with paid work? Are there other countries which need your skills like Canada or Australia?

7. Take Action!

Finally, don’t sit at home worrying; take action and at the very least sign the Save our Carers (SOS) petition to the Prime Minister at

If you have been refused a Senior Carer Work Permit and would like advice and a free consultation please email me at:

For all the latest immigration news see

Spread the Word, like or share this page, your friends will also love it and thanks for it.

Do you employ foreign workers? Don't risk a £20,000 fine and a possible custodial sentence. We can advice on Entrepreneur Visas, Investor Visas and Home Office sponsor licence compliance for your business. Use the button below to schedule an appointment...

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked by *.

You must beLogged in to post a comment.